Access Policy for Providers
At Durham Sixth Form Centre, we have an extensive employer engagement programme which offers our students a rich learning experience involving a diverse range of employers from a very wide range of industry sectors. It is well evidenced that work-based learning and employer engagement provide a significant range of benefits to students, including enhanced subject engagement, personal development and improved graduate employment outcomes.
Many of our students’ parents and carers work in sectors which our students are interested in and may be able to engage with the sixth form to support our students in a number of ways.
If you are interested in offering your support in any of the following ways, please contact our Employer Engagement Manager, Matt Gatiss: email@example.com
How we work with employers:
- Our students have the opportunity to take part in meaningful work placements which complement their current studies preparing them for the next steps in their careers (as well as supporting local companies and supplementing their recruitment needs).
- These placements are tailored to meet the employers’ needs, with a view to securing longer term placements, rather than the traditional one-week school model.
- Many of our courses offer students the opportunity to experience the real world of work. These visits allow our students to engage and talk with employers and employees about their jobs and backgrounds. Many companies also offer application clinics or group sessions to help students wishing to apply for similar companies in the future.
- We are always looking for more employers to offer this type of visit and engage with our students and welcome all enquiries!
- To maximise our students’ opportunities of progressing into their desired careers, we deliver ‘NextGeneration’ programmes through which we meet regularly with employers and apprentices, carry out workplace visits and support students throughout their preparation for the various application processes. At present we run NextGen programmes for:
- NHS careers
- Primary Teaching
- If you would like to support our current NextGen programmes or could support the development of a new route let us know!
Employer Talks and Seminars
- For some of the more academic and ‘hands-on’ professions, we host employers at Durham Sixth Form Centre to speak directly to our students. The size of each group varies depending on the employer - whether that is fifteen students talking with members of the Armed Forces or 200 students engaging with one of the ‘Big Four’ international accountancy firms.
- Durham Sixth Form Centre is a T-Level provider. Within these qualifications, students must complete 315 hours of meaningful industry placement. If you run, or are employed in a digital company, which works primarily utilising computer science or IT skills, and would be interested in getting involved in this new pathway, please get in touch.
Durham Sixth Form Centre Provider Access Policy.