Welcome to Durham Sixth Form Centre. I hope the following information gives you an insight into our school.
Durham Sixth Form Centre is the largest post-16 school in the North East of England, with approximately 1,300 students on roll. We are situated in the middle of Durham City Centre, a couple of minutes walk from both the bus and railway stations. Students generally enrol at Durham Sixth Form Centre from over 50 different secondary schools from across County Durham, Sunderland and Northumberland.
In March 2017, Her Majesty's Inspectors graded Durham Sixth Form Centre as ‘outstanding’ following a rigorous two day inspection, during which they observed lessons, scrutinised our results, spoke to students and met with staff and leaders. Not only did they judge Durham Sixth form Centre as ‘outstanding’ for ‘Overall Effectiveness’ but also ‘outstanding’ for ‘Student Outcomes’; the ‘Quality of Teaching, Learning and Assessment’; ‘Personal Development, Behaviour and Welfare’; and the ‘Effectiveness of Leadership and Management’. More information about our Ofsted report can be found here.
Our students have an excellent record of success, which they work hard to achieve. Our 2017 highlights are summarised below:
- Our A level results are above the national average and in the top 15% of schools and colleges in England.
- Students’ grades and points for A level are above both the County Durham average and national average.
- Students’ points and grades for their best 3 A levels are also above the national average.
- Our Applied General results (broad vocational qualifications) are above the national average and in the top quarter of schools in England.
- Students’ grades and points for Applied General are well above the County Durham average and national average.
- Our Tech Level (occupational qualifications) grades and points are well above the County Durham average and national average.
Most of our students continue their studies at university, whilst some take up employment or higher-level apprenticeships, and others stay with us into Year 14 where we run some Level 4 courses. Our award-winning Careers Information, Advice and Guidance team are instrumental in supporting our students with their post-18 progression pathways.
In 2013, we celebrated our Centenary year. We are housed in a 1913 former Girls’ Grammar School, which was purpose converted to Sixth Form accommodation in 1983. In addition to the original building, there is now a Science Block; a 210 seated Theatre; our Hunter Resource Centre; Visual Arts Centre and Freeman’s Quay Leisure Centre. We have plans in place to continue to develop our school buildings over the next year.
Through sustained effort, and a clear focus and direction, Durham Sixth Form Centre is a truly embracing and dynamic organisation. We are committed to promoting the principles of equal opportunities and we aspire to an environment where all our students and employees can develop their potential. We have a strong professional development programme and have achieved CPD Mark accreditation, Investors in People, Investors in Careers, Governor Mark and Artsmark Platinum. In 2018, we were also finalists for the TES’ highly-prestigious ‘Sixth Form College of the Year’ award.
Durham Sixth Form Centre operates according to values which we feel help to determine the culture, ethos and atmosphere of school. We value:
- high-quality, inspirational teaching and learning;
- excellent support, care and guidance;
- personal and professional integrity;
- ambition and progress for our students, our communities and ourselves.
If you are interested in studying with us, please do not hesitate to contact the school to organise a visit.